First off, let’s check in with how I’m doing with my December goals.
- Drink More Water. [I didn't do well with this at all. But I got an awesome water bottle called the Aquazinger for Christmas that infuses the water with fresh fruit and has definitely upped my water intake!]
- Blog 21 times! [I blogged 12 times. Definitely did better with blogging than I have in previous months, but I definitely didn't officially hit this goal.]
- Do dinner/lunch/coffee with friends at least once a week. [I did great with this goal! Went to a few Christmas parties, spent some time visiting with some friends. Although I did cancel on some friends a few times, I did do better with spending time with others!]
- Read 2 Books. [Falling Together by Marisa de los Santos was the only book I ended up reading this month. So I only halfway reached this goal.]
- Complete at least two of the DIY/Craft projects on my to-make list. [Did terrible with that.]
- Email someone I admire once a week. [I also didn't do well with this either.]
2012 in Review
I started off January being unemployed… but only a few weeks into the new year I got 2 Part-Time jobs, both in childcare that I loved. Spent a lot of time working. Worked on my birthday, which I wasn’t feeling well for, so it definitely didn’t nearly come close to being as awesome as my 23rd birthday.
The biggest thing that happened to me (besides being employed) was a family trip to Australia for a week and a half when my dad had to go for work. It was my first trip I’ve needed to go through customs, and what I consider to be my first trip out of the country. (When you live in Maine so close to the Canadian border, and you never needed a passport to go there, it doesn’t really count.) It was amazing and we had a great time.
Spent quality time with family and friends, spending some time up in Belgrade Lakes. We did some updates in our kitchen, which looks a million times better than it did before. In late August I gave my 2 weeks notice to my part time jobs and took a full time Assistant Toddler Teacher job working alongside my cousin. It came with benefits and a wonderful group of kids, parents, and co-workers. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we lived through many days this year where we were told that the world was going to end. For Christmas I got quite a bit of fun items, and a lot of gifts and yummy food from the families where I work. I also got a couple scratch tickets, one of which gave me $100 in winnings!
Goals for 2013
- Drink More Water
- Eat Better
With my new water bottle, I’m hoping that will help with my water intake. I rarely exercise, unless you consider my work with chasing toddlers exercise. I’m also hoping that I can eat better and just be more aware of how much junk food I’m eating.
- Visit Eileen in Alaska
- Plan a 2014 trip to Africa
I haven’t seen Eileen since her wedding in 2011. I definitely need to make a trip up to visit her happen this year! I also want to go to Africa. It’s weighing heavily on my heart. I want to do some proactive work in planning, like figuring out where I’ll go and contacting organizations to work with, and learning some key phrases in a new language.
Take Care of Finances:
- Participate in The Spending Fast
- Pay down $12,000 in student loan debt
- Increase income by running a side business
- Put my entire tax refund check into a Rainy Day Fund
- Save coins & $5 savings plan for a special treat
I really hope that my finances are an area in my life where I can make a huge impact in 2013. I hope to pay down $12,000 in my student loan debt. I hope to do some saving by participating in The Spending Fast (with a few exceptions here and there) and by putting my coins and all $5 I get in a piggy bank so that I can save up for a special treat, like a new phone or a DSLR. I want to put my entire tax refund into savings for something like a Travel Fund or to save up to move out of my parents house. I also want to either re-open and do a lot to grow cool & pretty things shop, or do some other side business.
Make Time for Friends:
- Remember Birthdays
- Show Up
- Respond in a timely fashion
I want to be better with my relationships with others. I want to give people birthday cards for their birthdays instead of just a message on facebook. I want to stop canceling plans with people and really just show up (and give them my undivided attention, putting the phone away). I also need to be better at responding to text messages in a timely matter.
Hobbies and Crafts:
- Learn to knit
- Learn to crochet
- Work on my sewing abilities
- Make some jewelry
- Finishing cheerleading scrapbook
- Start travel scrapbook
- Finish recipe book
- Read 26 books
I want to learn to knit or crochet, or maybe both. I really want to do some more sewing since I haven’t really sewed a lot and I would love to work up to where I can make myself some things from different patterns. I want to make some jewelry and work on just generally being more crafty. I also want to re-teach myself to do cross-stitch/needlepoint.
I want to finish my cheerleading scrapbook, since it’s the closest to being finished. I want to start on my travel scrapbook. I also want to finish making my little recipe book. I also would like to read 26 books.
I am hoping that 2013 is my year! I’ll turn 25 and I have big plans for this year!